CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:56:36 -0400
From:
Arvydas Matiukas <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

Hi Philippe,

thanks for the details how you train your users. My experience
is very similar to yours  that a new user requires about 10hrs of
training/work with confocal before he/she can start productively
work on their imaging project independently. On the other
hand about 3hrs of  practical training (i.e showing which buttons
to push and which icons to click) is fairly enough to prevent
users from breaking the equipment. Most of my users assume
that this is enough of me wasting their time and typically
prefer as a first choice to ask their previously trained coworkers which buttons
to push. I kind of understand their quick pace which (as you wrote) often is imposed
by a lab leader requesting quick results. Moreover, usually sample preparation
takes much longertime than imaging and still does not guarantee good picture.

Unfortunately, until now our campus did not have theoretical
course on bioimaging/microscopy but I am working hard to change
this. It that respect your experience is very useful.

Finally, I wonder how it is possible to crash a stage (never saw or heard
anything of such kind). Our inverted Axiovert 200M has a button to set the top
limit of objective advancement which protects from crashing lens. However,
the caveat is if somebody pushes that button at wrong z-position (while objective
is outside working distance) then it is not possible to focus without restarting
the microscope power.

Best,
Arvydas

>>> phil laissue <[log in to unmask]> 3/19/2013 12:14 PM >>>

Hi Arvydas,

thanks for the feedback. I run four lectures (basics, dynamic range,
colour, 3D & time-lapse) of 1.5 to 2 hours each (depending on questions) at
the start of each term. I also have a three-day course each year with four
1.5h lectures followed by practicals. The third day is used entirely for
samples the users have prepared. A strong point of the lectures is the
practical aspect. I talk about the focal planes, lazy oil, and teach them a
standard procedure to find their cells. This sounds very pedestrian, but
I've seen often how PhDs spend half their time at the 'scope looking for
their cells. We've also had two crashed stages (but luckily no objectives
were hurt) in the first half year of having the new instruments, and the
new way avoids that. It would be good to have parking sensors on stages. I
still have to figure out if it can be done software-wise with NIS-Elements.
I fully agree that many users could possibly care less, but not by a very
large margin. I run the courses with interested students in mind, but also
have the lectures on a training website, so they can be downloaded and
studied in advance of a practical session. Printouts and crib sheets
complement that. What does help with motivation is to make students
understand that bioimaging is a hot area and increasingly desired on CVs.
And so I end up with about one third interested, good, careful users, one
third routine (but responsible) users, and one third of intermittent (and
rather bored) users.
David Piston, and John, are of course right. Rigorously speaking, you can
probably only truly understand (and appreciate) a system if you've built
one yourself. But multi-user facilities with all members having such
insight and skills must be extremely rare. For many, it's just an
instrument they want to use. So to some degree, I have the lectures for
myself. Just showing the users which button to push is not fun. However, in
defense of the students, it seems that the pressure and lack of
understanding for the complexity of the matter (or the time it requires to
do it properly) comes in some cases from the group leader. So another point
I put forward is that it only makes sense to embark on a bioimaging project
if they're willing, ready and able to put in the time; sample optimisation,
proper image acquisition, and image analysis being aspects that can swallow
a lot of time. But there's no 'quick & dirty' way to do it really, unless
all they want is a pretty picture for a publication. So the minimum time
charged for confocal training is 10h. Alison North's article (Seeing is
believing? A beginners' guide to practical pitfalls in image acquisition)
really helps to drive that point home as well. And when a user gets the
imaging bug, all that effort seems worth while...

Best regards

Philippe

Philippe Laissue, PhD, Bioimaging Manager
School of Biological Sciences, Room 4.17
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK
(0044) 01206 872246 / (0044) 07842 676 456
privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~plaissue