MOU-RBA Archives

March 2013

From:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 00:50:52 -0600
Yesterday I led a birding trip to Sax-Zim Bog, and had a great time birding
in the beautiful late-winter habitat. Highlights from the morning include a
BOREAL OWL and NORTHERN GOSHAWK at the same time! We watched the Boreal Owl
rest on a single branch for almost 15 minutes. After about ten minutes of
initially watching the bird, the adult Northern Goshawk came into view, and
flew through the woods. The Boreal Owl's posture became very upright and
wide-eyed. The Northern Goshawk never interacted with the owl. Later in the
day we witnessed a gorgeous female HOARY REDPOLL among the Common Redpolls
at the Friends of Sax-Zim Bog birdfeeders (Owl Ave).

Here is the Boreal Owl from yesterday:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/149212242

Northern Goshawk:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/149212251

Northern Hawk-Owl
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/149212248

eBird list from yesterday's visit to Sax-Zim Bog. Note the lack of
grosbeaks.

After finishing with work today, I took a walk around Canal Park and found
four adult Ring-billed Gulls flying around with the Herring Gulls.

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Birding Tours and Bird Photography
[log in to unmask] (e-mail)