]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  March 2013

MOU-RBA March 2013

[mou-net] Saga of P38 ...early bird Trumpeter Swan Duluth

sparky stensaas <[log in to unmask]>

sparky stensaas <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 9 Mar 2013 09:17:12 -0700

Monday, March 4th

A pair of Trumpeter Swans at the Fond du Lac Bridge Duluth. (The second spring migrant I've seen in the Duluth area ...First was several Horned Larks on Feb 23rd Carlton Co)

BUT the interesting thing was that one of the Trumpeters was P38 (yellow neck band)... a bird that I first spotted on March 25, 2008 at this same spot....also the first Trumpeter of spring.

P38 was with a juvenile (dusky) unbanded bird. The were walking on the snow/ice of the St. Louis River downstream of the bridge and made it to an open spot of water about 5 feet square! Such is the life of the early birds!

Patricia Manthey of the Wisconsin DNR sent this 5 years ago:
"P38. This trumpeter, sex unknown, was hatched in 2001 at Lower Ox Lake near Solon Springs in Douglas County Wisconsin. Interestingly, it was reported at the St Croix Flowage at Gordon, Wisconsin on March 05, 2008. At that time it had no mate, but was with a cygnet (gray neck and head). We do not know where it nests, but this new report may help us locate it"

Then Pat followed up with this this year...
"I have not seen P38 this year, but did see it last winter on the St. Croix River with a cygnet. I've been looking for it and glad to hear of this sighting! It usually shows up on Lake St. Croix before freeze up. A Solon resident has several pictures of this bird over the years, as it frequents the area in front of his place. It would be nice to figure out where this bird nests."

Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road
Wrenshall, MN 55797
218.341.3350 cell