MOU-RBA Archives

May 2013

From:
Douglas Mayo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas Mayo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2013 12:53:17 -0600

Yesterday afternoon Park
Point in Duluth was dripping with warblers.
The weather, however, was terrible.
The temperature was in the 40s and a strong wind was blowing from the
northeast at 20 to 30 miles per hour.
While the weather made for challenging birding, it forced the birds to
feed on the ground, sometimes right at my feet (no binoculars needed).  Warblers were everywhere: In yards, on the
street, in low-lying shrubs, and along the shore.  During three hours of birding I found 20
species.  Palm, Magnolia, and American
Redstarts were the most common.  I saw only
one each of Black-throated Green Warbler, Golden-winged Warbler and Mourning
Warble, but there were good numbers of Cape May, Chestnut-sided, Pine, Wilson,
Nashville, Northern Parula and other warblers.
Another birder told me about a Black-throated Blue Warbler seen near the
end of Park Point, but I could not find this bird.  There were also thousands of Savannah and
Chipping Sparrows.  In addition, I observed two
White-winged Scoters in the harbor side bay of Park Point a bit northwest of the
Rowing Club.  Since weather conditions in
Duluth today (and maybe tomorrow) are similar to yesterday, I’m guessing that the warblers are still
hunkered down there.Douglas Mayo