MOU-RBA Archives

June 2013

From:
Steve Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2013 18:11:19 -0600
There are apparently an unusual number of black-throated blue warblers
around this year, at least in central Lake County. I heard three on June 11
while walking around Cat Lake, which is NW of Isabella. This morning, when I
picked up my Breeding Bird Survey assistant, Johnnie Hyde, she mentioned
that they had one the night before in their yard (i.e. woods) for the  first
time on Gander Lake, a few miles away. When we ran the BBS route, we picked
up four more singing at listening stops along FR173 and 175. I'm not even
sure we've had two before in any of the 40+ years Jan Green and I have run
that route. On the way back I heard a fifth one out the window while driving
30mph down a noisy gravel road. I can safely say that has never happened to
me before.

Steve Wilson