MOU-RBA Archives

June 2013

From:
Milton Blomberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milton Blomberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 20:51:05 -0600
Discovered the presence of an Acadian Flycatcher today in the newly designated Kraemer Lake-Wildwood County Park WNW of the I94 exit to St. Joseph.  Find the park ~2-3 miles up on CR51 from CR2 underpass of I94.  Parking area on the left...walk on the westward trail along the field/forest edge to the 2nd map post with "Do No Enter" sign for skiers. Go on the maintained southward trail for 455 paces and find a subsidiary unmaintained trail that goes south between two vernal pools (one on the hill level-right the other a deep pool on the left), look for a small white marker flag that says "Stearns County Parks.  The Acadian was calling often on the SW corner draw of the deep vernal pool and ranging in the surrounding oak-maple-basswood forest.
Furthermore, a Cerulean Warbler was vocalizing around the deep vernal pool...so to a Yellow-billed Cuckoo further south where one can find a sitting bench overlooking an sort of open ridge cut.  Lots of vireos, tanagers, and wood thrush to name a few more.