MOU-RBA Archives

June 2013

From:
Joe Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:47:04 -0600
Found a female hooded warbler on nest. First saw her Thursday am, but
didn't have enough time to look for nest. Today I did. Went to where I saw
her Thursday, and marked trail when I first heard her chip. Then continued
till she stopped and marked trail. Then went in between marks and sat on
folding chair I brought. Later bird was flushed by two joggers with dogs.
Went into chip mode for a while and then stopped.  Next time was flushed by
a fox, which had got another bird in a panic. This time I saw where she came
from, right in front of me. Waited till she went onto nest and took her
picture. Is very close to path, and fox den with at least one pup.
Saw the male only once, but he came around  about every half hour and
sang loudly, especially when I was watching fox listening.
Thanks to Pete Nichols for posting about the warblers, would like to show you
the nest.
Joe Conley