CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2013

From:
Tobias Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2013 08:18:46 +0000

Hi Steven,

I have some qualitative experience with mRuby2 now (chronic cytosolic expression [several months] and 2p imaging in cortical neurons in vivo) and can say that I'm so far quite happy. In contrast to your experience I find it very bright - especially at 1040 where it should be. In my hand it compares nicely to tdtomato in the same application. mRuby2 has the huge advantage, though, of being much smaller (AAV packaging!)  and of actually being a red protein (emission is more like mCherry and not tdtomato) . In terms of bleaching I find it slightly superior to tdtomato. I used tdtomato extensively in vitro (cytosolic and tagged expression) and never saw any aggregates there. I did not do the same tests with mRuby2 but will do so soon and report back. Concerning cytotoxicity it looks good so far - I would not feel comfortable saying the same about tag-RFP-t, though...

For simultaneous dual color imaging using only one excitation wavelength it is not ideal but quite doable: GFP/mRuby2 can be co-excited around 960nm - however, mRuby2 is far from optimal excitation there. Still: I find it bright enough for my purpose. If you can afford sequential imaging, then this does not apply, of course (930->1040). I cannot say how much light you lose by using a narrow filter CFP/YFP coexcitation approach. If you can afford doing two imaging runs: mTurquoise2 and mCitrine may be good candidates for sequential blue->yellow dual color imaging (850->1000) using a very broad single filter / single channel approach.

Cheers,
Tobias