MOU-RBA Archives

August 2013

From:
Laura Coble <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Coble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2013 17:51:56 -0600
I saw a Loggerhead Shrike today,  perched near the large rocks to the south of the pond, on the road to your left as you enter the park.  I saw one Horned Lark and some Mallards and Pied-billed Grebes on the south and north pond, but it was very quiet, and I didn't hear any meadowlarks, Western or Eastern, and the sparrows seem to have gone.

Meadowlarks have been here late into August and Sept. in previous years. Last year the juveniles were there until the beginning of October, which was a surprise to me. This park is about 1/2 north of Randolph, MN, on the west side of Hwy 56. There is a lot of development for a grain delivery complex, involving a train system on the far west side of the park, and it is likely affecting the east side of the park.

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls