MOU-RBA Archives

December 2013

From:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:44:28 -0700
This afternoon my roommate, Ted Keyel, and I made a visit to the lakefront
of Beacon Pointe Resort (23rd Avenue East) in Duluth, to see the reported
female King Eider. We got nice long looks at her, in addition to seeing not
one, but two White-winged Scoters. Kim Eckert picked out the second one
up-shore as Ted and I focused on the eider. Earlier on when I was scanning
through the Common Goldeneyes via binoculars, I noticed that one of the
females had a stout, mostly-orange bill relative to the nearby female
Common Goldeneyes. Upon closer study of the bird plus the ID confirmation
from Kim, we were able to confirm that this bird was a female Barrow's
Goldeneye, and had a great time enjoying this bird with others who arrived
on site.

Ted typed up an eBird list from this evening, noting the birders there. It
was great to have such a fun crowd nearby!

Pictures

King Eider & Barrow's Goldeneye
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/153758539

Barrow's Goldeneye
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/153758537
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/153758538

King Eider & White-winged Scoter
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/153758541

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Birding Tours and Bird Photography
[log in to unmask] (e-mail)