MOU-RBA Archives

December 2013

Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:50:19 -0700
I sent this early this morning and it came through on my cell, but not my e-mail, so I'm resending.  I added a 4th owl on Hwy 169 that I neglected to put in the original e-mail.

Saturday, December 14, we observed three Great Grey Owls along County 18, both East and West of Pietz's Road in Aitkin County.  In the morning we saw two owls perched on telephone poles West of Pietz's and one just East of Hebron Cemetery.  In the afternoon, from 1:00 to 2:00 we observed probably the same individuals in more cooperative moods, approximately the same locations as the morning.  We were lucky enough to  observe one  of the Great Greys dive through the snow to come up with a vole.  The 4th owl was on Hwy 169, just South of County 18, perched in a tree.

We also found two Snowy Owls in the vicinity of Cty.1 and Cty. 22, north  of Aitkin.  One was a largely unmottled adult about .5 mile NE of the the intersection, and another heavily mottled bird about .1 mile East of the intersection.

Thanks to Warren Nelson & Butch for the updates!

Linda Sparling
Hennepin County