MOU-RBA Archives

December 2013

From:
Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2013 20:22:28 -0700
Diane and I spotted another Snowy Owl in Benton County at a location that I
don't believe had been reported yet.  This one is further east of the area
where most of the birds are being reported this winter.   It was a couple of
power poles south of CR22 (165th St) on CR60 (75th Ave NE).  This is just a
mile south of the Morrison border and 4 miles east of MN25 (about 14mi east
of Royalton).

We also came across a convention of mature Bald Eagles along Nature Road in
Morrison County along a stretch of road from 1 to 2 miles west of MN25.  We
counted, at a minimum, at least 100 eagles decorating most every taller tree
in the area (around 3pm today).  Most of the birds were in Morrison County
but quite a few were a half mile further south into Benton County.  We did
not see any of the eagles feeding on anything while we were there.  They
were all just hanging out together in the trees.  It was impressive to say
the least.

Bob Ekblad
Olmsted County in SE Minnesota
http://www.Birding-Minnesota.com