MOU-RBA Archives

December 2013

From:
Matthew Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2013 22:33:22 -0700
Saw my first Snowy Owl!!
Based on the
Sunday 12-22-2013 Late posting

Saw my first Snowy Owl!!
Based on the images found on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology site, the bird appeared to be an Immature female.
Up from St Paul my girlfriend and I started the morning touching the locations in Stearns County mentioned previously with zero sightings.
Then headed to the other side of the river in Benton County.
Being skunked thus far we consulted with Milt on the phone as we sat in Rice, MN.
Our brief sighting was at point "H" on Justin's map at 3:30 pm on Mayhew Lake Rd NE, three poles south of 45th St NE (County Rd 15 - Taxidermy shop sign).
After six hours of driving, clearing the snow off the ground one pole away and using the row of evergreen trees as a blind, we were about to settle in to revel a while after finally spotting this this magnificent bird.
Suddenly a gentleman with binoculars in a four door sedan with one functioning right turn signal, pulled right in front of the pole and scared the bird away.
It was awesome to witness this bird however brief.

Thank you everyone for the location postings.
Thank you Justin Watts for the map.
Thank you Frank Gosiak for posting a contact phone number.
Thank you Milt for fielding questions, the up-to-the hour location information, and advice.

Matthew R Johnson
St Paul