MOU-RBA Archives

December 2013

From:
Herb Dingmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herb Dingmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2013 20:21:49 -0700
Yesterday Ron Erpelding and I made to trip to western Minnesota to see if we
could find more Snowy Owls.  We were fairly successful, finding a Snowy Owl
in each of 4 different counties:

Douglas County:  4 miles north of Osakis on CR3 (there had been a previously
reported bird 6 miles north of Osakis)
Grant County: CR12, just west of where 320th Ave goes south.  This is near
the western edge of the county.
Traverse County:  CR64 goes east, south, and back west off of CR15 in the
southeastern corner of the county.  The Owl was in the field at the
southeast corner of CR64.
Big Stone County:  690th Ave about 1/2 mile north of 260th St (also called
CR54 on the streetsign, but is labeled as CR2 on my map).  This is in the
northeast corner of the county.

Today Ron was busy with family doings, so I went on my own intending to
check a few more counties.  I spent most of the day in Pope County without
finding a Snowy Owl there.  However, I did find one on the Stevens/Pope
county line (400th Ave) on the Stevens County side of the road.  This
location is south of Cyrus (Pope County) about 6 miles, midway between 250th
St. and 260th St.  These two streets are in Stevens County, but correspond
to what they would be if they continued into Pope County.

Use caution in exploring these areas.  There are many "No Maintenance" roads
out there.  All of these birds are on maintained roads, but even these roads
can have some drifts since the last snowplow went through.

Herb Dingmann
St. Cloud