MOU-RBA Archives

January 2014

From:
Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 01:09:45 -0700
On Thursday afternoon I found an immature Trumpeter Swan on the ice of a
small lake (probably Pohl Lake) along CR 35 between St. Michael and Buffalo
in Wright County.  While a Trumpeter Swan is not unusual in this area,
which is not far from Monticello where the largest concentration of swans
in the state is found, it was unusual in its situation.  A recent news
article reported that the Monticello power plant has been closed down for
repairs and the open water near Monticello is shrinking and swans are
expected to disperse.  Thus the swan could be part of this dispersal,
however,  the swan was alone and on a completely frozen lake.  I could not
ascertain if it was in stress and did not have time to further investigate.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN