]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  January 2014

MOU-RBA January 2014

[mou-net] Kandiyohi and Stearns County Snowy Owls

Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>

Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Jan 2014 21:32:13 -0700

After a lull the Snowy Owl activity has started to pick up again in our area.

This afternoon Randy Frederickson and I went to try to refind the Atwater
Snowy Owl in the location I reported on Jan. 22 and where it was refound by
Bob Ekblad on Jan. 23.  Not finding it there or on any surrounding roads, we
ventured a little further to the east.  Before making a left turn onto our next
road, Randy happened to look right and said, "There it is."  We nearly missed it
in plain sight on a pole.  The location was Kandiyohi Co. Rd. 28 and the Kandi-
Meeker Road (210th St. NE) This is one mile east of Kandiyohi Co. Rd. 2 and
about three miles north of Atwater.  Note: Google maps and eBird maps do not
show this short section of Co. Rd. 28 which turns into Meeker Co. Rd. 16 east
of the county line, but official county maps DO have it on them.  Our sighting
was at 4:15 PM.

We got home and we both received an email from Lorel Nadolny about another
Snowy sighting in that general area around the same time.  Lorel's sighting was
1.5 miles west of Kandiyohi Co. Rd. 2 on Co. Rd. 10 (The same location we had
been seeing a Snowy a couple weeks ago).  This sighting was at 4:00 and over
three miles away from the owl Randy and I saw.  So it is very possible we have
two Snowy Owls in this area.

Checking my work email this evening, I was surprised to find pictures of a
gorgeous, nearly all-white Snowy Owl seen and photographed by a coworker in
Stearns County today.  She was traveling from St. Cloud to Grove City via MN
15 to US 12.  I do not have an exact location, but she said she saw it on Hwy
15 between Luxemburg and Kimball, just outside of Luxemburg.  I couldn't find
Luxemburg on a map and haven't heard back from her on a more exact location.
Perhaps people familiar with the area will understand this reference.  This
sighting was on a power pole at 2:00 PM today.

Josh Wallestad

http://www.aboywhocriedheron.com
http://birdingacrossamerica.com