MOU-RBA Archives

February 2014

From:
John Hockema <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hockema <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2014 15:37:36 -0700
February 4, 2014
Greetings All:
Yesterday morning while at break, a co-worker mentioned to me that he and his brother had found a Snowy Owl on Sunday (Feb. 2nd) while coyote hunting.  I eventually met up with Andrew Nyhus and Dedrick Benz Monday afternoon (Feb. 3rd) and a total of three Snowy Owls were seen in the vicinity of Oak Center.
Owl # 1:  One mile west of Oak Center on CR 75, then 0.5 mile north on 375th Ave (Wabasha County).
Owl # 2:  From the junction of CR 16 and 300th Ave. in Wabasha County, go north on 300th Ave. for 0.5 mile.  The bird was seen on the fenceline west of the road (Goodhue County, Belvidere Twp.).
Owl # 3:  Six-tenths of a mile south of Oak Center on Hwy 63 perched atop a utility pole (Wabasha County).
My thanks to Andrew Nyhus for calling me just as I was leaving work to tell me that he and Dedrick had re-found owl # 1.  Also, many thanks to my co-worker buddy, Terry, for sharing his sighting and giving me something to do after work.  Mr. Nyhus has also generously shared photos and GPS coordinates of two of the birds found yesterday on the Minnesota Birding Facebook page.
Good Birding!
John HockemaRochester, MN