MOU-RBA Archives

February 2014

From:
"John P. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John P. Ellis
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2014 18:57:07 -0700
     Saw two Snowy Owls in Douglas County today. One was found by Ben
Eckhoff, the Naturalist at Lake Carlos State Park and may be a bird that
was seen earlier near Carlos (who really knows?) It was along MN 29 in the
NW quadrant of the intersection of 29 with Buckskin Road, sitting on top of
a hill behind a utility transformer. It was there early AM and again after
9AM when I saw it and was NOT there at 3:45PM today when I went back. The
second Snowy Owl, probably a new bird, was sitting on top of a large stack
of hay bales at a feedlot. Where Douglas County 24 (in the NW part of the
county) terminates at Douglas County 7, the road that continues going east
is called Gravel Pit Road. The bird was south of Gravel Pit Road at the
point that the road jogs north.
     Saw Snow Buntings in groups of 4, 8, 8 and 95, One group of four
Horned Larks, and one group of 3 Lapland Longspurs. Had 3 N. Shrikes, NO
Rough-legs or Red Tailed Hawks. There were a few Am. Tree Sparrows around
in multiple places but over all birds were scarce. The blowing snow and
sculpted drifts were beautiful in the bright sunshine.