]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  February 2014

MOU-RBA February 2014

[mou-net] More on Snowy Owls in Pope, Swift, Chippewa, & Yellow Medicine

Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>

Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 Feb 2014 22:17:38 -0700

Since I had previously looked for (and failed to find) Snowy Owls that Ron
Erpelding had reported 3-4 weeks ago, I followed up on Herb Dingmann's
recent report (see below) of finding Snowy Owls (two of which were in
locations where Ron had found them).

In Pope County I found an adult on the north side of 110th St 0.5mile east
of CR33 (same spot where Ron and Herb reported birds).  As I was leaving the
area I headed south on CR33 and found a second bird (immature) on a power
pole right across from a poultry farm.  Seeing 2 made up for whiffing on
them the last time I was in the area.

In Chippewa County I was able to re-find the owl in the same place Herb had
it (so far away it was barely noticeable with binoculars -great spotting
Herb).

I searched long and hard for the owl at the spot in Yellow Medicine where
Ron and then Herb had found it.  It was 6pm and getting fairly dark and I
was about ready to leave the area but decided to make one more loop to the
west of the original sightings.  I was rewarded with a great close-up look
at an adult Snowy Owl on 480th St 0.5mile south of 260th St.  It was on the
power poles right next to a small bridge.

I was not able to re-find the owl in Swift County in spite of a long search.
I plan to revisit the area again tomorrow.

Thanks to Ron and Herb for great sightings and for the reports posted to
MOUnet/MOUdatabase.

Bob Ekblad
Olmsted County in SE Minnesota
http://www.Birding-Minnesota.com