MOU-RBA Archives

May 2014

From:
Julian Sellers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julian Sellers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2014 15:19:15 -0600
This morning, I followed a Summer Tanager as it flew low through open woods at Afton State Park, Washington County.  It flew about 30 yards at a time before stopping briefly on low perches.  It was giving its “pit-i-tuck” call the entire time, which I recorded.  I have uploaded an excerpt from the recording to the MOU audio gallery.  The location was along the Trout Brook Loop Trail, on the wooded hillside near the southern end of the loop, on the west side of the brook.  The bird was moving northward along that hillside.

The location is about a half-mile south of the place where Liz Harper found a Summer Tanager in the summer of 2009.

Julian