MOU-RBA Archives

May 2014

From:
Dave Zumeta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Zumeta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2014 07:33:25 -0600
Apologies for this delayed posting, as my original posting last Friday evening apparently was unsuccessful.

Date: Fri, May 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Subject: Yellow-throated Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Tufted Titmouse, Whitewater State Park area
To: [log in to unmask]

At 10 a.m. today (5/23), four other observers and I saw a Yellow-throated Warbler from a distance of 20 feet for about 10 seconds while the bird hopped in the grass in the picnic area below (north of) the Whitewater State Park Nature Store (same general area where this species occurred last May, first Winona County record, and then bred successfully). Heard what was likely the same bird singing in early afternoon on 5/22 (but could not locate it), and then again on 5/23 (when I did relocate it as it sang 50-60 feet up in a tall white pine across the entrance road south of the Nature Store, immediately adjacent to and east of Rt. 74). Please stop in the Nature Store or the park HQ to get a permit if you don't have one. Otherwise your car may be ticketed.

One Louisiana Waterthrush was singing about noon along the Trout Run Creek trail about 0.5 miles south of the trailhead parking lot, which you can access by car from the Nature Store parking lot (the two lots are located about 0.5 miles apart).

One Tufted Titmouse was singing at about 8 a.m. near the intersection of Rt. 39 and Calico Hill Road. This intersection is accessed by driving north on Rt. 74 from the Whitewater Park HQ, turning left (west) on Rt. 39 (after the turn the Lazy D Campgrounds will be on your right), and driving 0.9 miles to the intersection with Calico Hill Road on your right. Blue-winged Warbler, Wood Thrush, and Veery were all singing near this intersection as well. An extremely late Purple Finch was singing in a hedgerow about 0.5 miles up Calico Hill Road.

Observed 102 species, including 19 species of warblers, in and around Whitewater State Park and Whitewater WMA on 5/22-23.
--
Dave Zumeta