MOU-RBA Archives

May 2014

From:
Kathy Confer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathy Confer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2014 11:29:44 -0600
Since no one else has posted recently, I thought I'd just let the group know
that the Male Garganey was seen yesterday (Sunday) afternoon around 1pm in
Crex Meadows, Burnett Co, Wisconsin. A wonderful birder from Cedar Rapids,
Iowa, let me view the beauty through her scope, although I could see it well
enough through my 8x binoculars. It was still at the same location (County
Rd F and Abel Rd, in the center back of Erickson Flowage). The bird was
hanging out with a pair of Blue-winged teal, and was splashing and flapping
and stretching and preening for the 30 minutes I was there.
Thanks, also, to the volunteers at the visitor center (County Rd D & F) who
told us where to look for the blooming pasque flowers, an eagle's nest,
horned grebes, yellow-headed blackbirds (which we did not find), loons,
northern harriers, and sandhill cranes. I've been to Crex Meadows dozens of
times since 1990, and it never disappoints.
Kathy Confer
Near Lake Josephine
In Ramsey County