MOU-RBA Archives

August 2014

From:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2014 10:40:27 -0600
I have continued to be intrigued by the numbers and new locations of Blue
Grosbeaks, so I have continued searching for them.  I haven't found any new
birds myself but I do have some updates:

- I again observed the male BLGR at the Danube brush site on 8-7-14.  I did
not check up on all the other birds I found a week ago.

- I did not find the BLGR at Gneiss Outcrops SNA in Chippewa County on 8-7-
14.

- Garrett Wee told me he found a male BLGR in Marshall's city limits on the very
northwestern edge of town on London Road on 8-6-14.  Garrett is the birder
who found the Blue Grosbeaks at the Cottonwood sewage ponds the last two
years, and this year he found a nest there as well.

I recently wrote a blog post showing how I used satellite imagery to locate
probable habitats within this seemingly expanding range of this species.  You
can see photos of the satellite images and maps I used as well as BLGR
pictures from around Danube at the following link:

http://www.aboywhocriedheron.com/2014/08/05/investigating-a-probable-
range-and-population-expansion-of-the-blue-grosbeak-in-minnesota/.

The Danube birds are just 6 miles from Kandiyohi County - hopefully one will
make the jump soon if it hasn't already!

Josh Wallestad

http://www.aboywhocriedheron.com