MOU-RBA Archives

August 2014

From:
David Cahlander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Cahlander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2014 13:47:43 -0600
Let me say something about process on the MOU web site.  Occurrence maps
are the maps that are available under the "Occurrence Maps" box on the
moumn.org front page. Occurrence maps are the result of review of The
Loon seasonal reporters and can be considered as peer reviewed
material. Nothing goes into the "Occurrence Maps" until it is published
in The Loon.

I think that Drew is referring to the "Species Maps" for the current
season when he indicates that the Least Tern is indicated as confirmed
breeding. The Species Maps are raw input. They will indicate what
birds have been reported, not what has been accepted. For casual and
accidental species only MOURC decides if a species is "accepted" or "not
accepted".

The current MOU policy related to "confirmed breeding" is different for
first county records of breeding and following records for breeding.
The observer indicated the checkbox for feeding young was checked. The
notes for this submission are:

    *Feeding Young -*Adult bird carrying food for young or feeding
    recently fledged young. Note: Some adults carry food a long distance
    or may be engaged in courtship feeding. One of the best signs to
    look for is the repeated carrying of food in the same direction.

The code in the seasonal report interface does not check if this is a
first county record and does not check what species the bird is when
indicating "confirmed". This analysis is done by the Summer seasonal
report compiler when the Summer seasonal report is generated.

Please remember that the "Species Maps" are raw data and the "Occurrence
Maps" are reviewed data.

Thanks.

--
David Cahlander [log in to unmask] Burnsville MN 952-894-5910