MOU-RBA Archives

October 2014

From:
Steve Chesney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Chesney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2014 07:24:16 -0600
I'm not so sure you were wrong the first time.

I went to the new Cedar Bridge site yesterday around noon and found Greater
Yellowlegs and Lesser Yellowlegs walking plus what I believe were two
phalaropes swimming.   The birds were all distant.

The size differences were pronounced and proportionate to what the books
say.   The Greaters were over twice the size of the swimmers even when
almost side by side and the Lessers in between.

I did see one of the swimmers briefly walk and fly.    Its legs were much
shorter and not as yellow.  Beak was very thin, straight, shorter than the
other birds and clearly needle-like.  Clearer light breast. Different
proportions on the body than the walkers.   While swimming, it constantly
pecked at the water in all directions.  (No spinning though).

Over by the Old Cedar Bridge platform: lots of Mallards, Canada Geese,
Widgeon, a few Northern Pintails, Northern Shovelers,  Green-winged Teal,
maybe one Wood Duck, lots of Ring-billed Gulls and several Trumpeter Swans.
Very few songbirds around.  Once each Great Egret and Great Blue Heron.  No
Cattle Egret by either old or new bridge.