MOU-RBA Archives

November 2014

From:
Jim Lind <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2014 17:21:19 -0700
Bob Meyers found a juvenile Common Eider today (Nov. 13) at the Silver Bay marina in Lake
County.  This is a different bird than the two currently being seen in Duluth (about 50 miles
away), and is the first record for Lake County.  Bob says the bird spent most of its time in the
bay south of the rock jetty, which forms the southern border of the marina. It occasionally
would go up into the rocks of the jetty. It was visible from the cliffside observation platform on
the west side of the marina property.

The marina entrance off MN Highway 61 is about a mile northeast of the Beaver River bridge.
Stay to the right after turning into the marina, go down the hill past the boat launch, and park
in the lot beyond the outhouses.  Walk the wide gravel switchback trail up the hill to the
observation platform along the lake on the back side of the hill.

I got there late this afternoon and managed to get some distant shots in low light.  I posted
one on the Recently Seen page on the MOU page.  Thank you, Bob!

Jim Lind
Two Harbors