CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2014

Sender:
From:
Menelaos Symeonides <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:06:28 -0500

I've obtained samples of some Renilla luciferase substrates from
NanoLight for the purpose of visualizing bioluminescence in living
cells. These substrates are formulated for various emission peaks, one
being V-CTZ which has a peak around 520 nm, which nicely fits in the
FITC filter set.

I tried transfecting some HEK293T cells with Rluc8 (highly active
version of the luciferase), then loading them up with the substrate and
imaging them live on our DeltaVision microscope. We have an Olympus IX70
base, CoolSnapHQ CCD camera, and I used a 60X Olympus 1.42NA oil
objective. My strategy was to set up a long exposure (2 to 10 sec) with
no excitation light (Ex set to BLOCK), collecting emitted light in the
FITC channel. I started imaging pretty much immediately after I put the
substrate on the cells. I know that the luciferase signal peaks in the
first minute and then drops off, but should still be detectable for
about an hour after that.

I was unable to get any signal whatsoever. The exposure was coming up
completely negative, I could not even see any autofluorescence, just CCD
noise at around 100 (of 4095) units, which is the standard background
noise. I had co-transfected GFP in my cells, and parallel (very short -
0.05 sec) exposures with 100% excitation light showed very strong GFP
signal in almost every cell, so I know that the camera was collecting
light in the FITC channel and that the cells were transfected.

I also tried two other substrates from NanoLight, Prolume Purple and
Prolume Purple II, which emit close to the DAPI range, and again had
absolutely no signal. I know for certain that my Rluc8 works in these
particular cells as it produces very high luminescence using Promega's
kit, though that assay is designed for lysed cells and uses a plate
reader, and is not suitable for imaging living cells.

The luciferase substrate was loaded at the upper end of NanoLight's
recommended concentration for live cells (20 uM). I can try to increase
the substrate concentration somewhat, though the stock solution (about
12.5 mM) is dissolved in 10% ethanol and there will be a point beyond
which I would be adding enough ethanol to the culture medium to affect
the luciferase reaction. I also don't really expect that I will suddenly
go from ZERO signal to something substantial/publishable just by
increasing the concentration.

My conclusion is that the luminescence is far too dim for my camera and
it seems that I will never be able to see it. Is there anything else I
can do to increase my ability to see this signal in living cells on my
microscope? NanoLight suggested that I open the aperture on the
microscope to maximum, but I don't know how to do that or even if that
is possible on my setup. I know that there are bioluminescence
microscopes like the Olympus LV-200, but there does not seem to be
anything like that on campus. There are plenty of other epi scopes,
however, and I can look around to see whether there are more sensitive
CCDs I could take advantage of, if that is the main limiting factor.

--
Menelaos Symeonides
University of Vermont