MOU-RBA Archives

December 2014

From:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2014 21:33:09 -0700
This morning as we gathered for the Willmar CBC, we learned that Andrew Halbritter had
seen three Snowy Owls on his drive from Madison, MN to Willmar on 12-19-14.  One owl
was at the Lac qui Parle Valley High School, and two different owls (one a white male,
and one a juvenile/female) were seen together in Chippewa County along MN 40 right
where MN 29 heads north to Benson.

Late this afternoon I followed up on Andrew's report, though I did not go as far as LqPV
HS.  I refound the male Snowy perched on a pole top along MN 40/29 at mile post 16.
This is two miles west of where MN 29 heads north to Benson and about 8 miles from
where Sue Morton reported a male Snowy on MN 277 at mile marker 8 a few days ago.
Hwy 40 is very busy, and there is no shoulder.  The owl didn't mind the traffic, though, as
it swooped down to grab a mouse just off the shoulder.  It flew to the field where it
consumed its meal and then flew back to a pole to resume hunting.

Here's a picture of the owl:

The most notable bird in the Willmar CBC is a continuing American Black Duck in the
Crow River below the dam in New London.  Look below the dam or follow Central Ave
where the river runs along the road.  Sightings have been sporadic.  It was first found by
Coralie Jacobson a few weeks ago.

Josh Wallestad
http://www.aboywhocriedheron.com