MOU-RBA Archives

December 2014

From:
Alyssa DeRubeis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alyssa DeRubeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:15:50 -0700
Before you read this, please note that I am NOT sharing an exact roosting
location. This is to protect the owl. This post is intended for people who
would like to try looking for Long-eared Owls but don't know of good places
to search.

While looking for owls with Craig Mandel at Crow-Hassan Park Reserve this
morning, he found a Long-eared Owl in an Eastern Red Cedar. I was able to
get a brief look at it as well.

Crow-Hassan Park Reserve is located near Rogers in the northwest region of
Hennepin County. Even though we spent three hours looking in hundreds of
red cedars, there was still much ground yet to cover. It's a big park with
many owl roost-worthy red cedars.

Other birds included Northern Shrike (2), Northern Flicker (1), and many
Trumpeter Swans.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Golden Valley, Hennepin Co.