MOU-RBA Archives

December 2014

From:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 19:30:32 -0700
Since my wife and I are both from the Angora area of the Iron Range (St. Louis Co.), we
spend our holidays driving back and forth between both sets of parents' houses going
through a black spruce bog.  Yesterday in doing so I stumbled upon a lone, male Spruce
Grouse - the last time I saw one in this area was about 15 years ago.  A picture and
exact location of the grouse can be seen on my eBird checklist:

Also of note is that about 2 miles south of this location, there are open, agricultural areas
where I found two Black-billed Magpies this morning. I discovered my first one ever for
that area last month when I was home for Thanksgiving. This trip, as well as the last,
produced Rough-legged Hawk each time too in this area.

Another important note is that this past June, Sparky Stensaas discovered a Great Gray
Owl in this location as well as another on nearby Heino Rd. (Heino and Samuelson
intersection).  I am fairly certain that yesterday evening I saw the second GGOW flying
from Heino Road and into this bog - the raptor was quite large, brownish/grayish, with
slow wingbeats as it disappeared into darkness of the dense spruce trees. Sparky
Stensaas had also found a Black-backed Woodpecker in this same location last summer.

On Monday in Bear River, MN I observed 10 Evening Grosbeaks coming to my wife's
grandmother's bird feeders.  Unfortunately I can't give the exact location, but the
intersection of Co. Rds 5 and 22 will put you in the vicinity.

Good birding!

Josh Wallestad - Kandiyohi Co. but home on 'da Range for Christmas