MOU-RBA Archives

January 2015

From:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:03:34 -0700
On 1-15-15 I got a report from a student of a Snowy Owl along US Hwy 12 just west of
Atwater by the Bushmills ethanol plant.  Tonight a coworker texted saying she saw one in
the same place.  I went out there and observed a pristine white Snowy at 5:15 this
evening.

The adult male Willmar Snowy is still around.  I have observed it for each of the last five
days.  It can be found anywhere along MN 23 from Co. Rd. 5 to US 71 as well as on 45th
Ave from Co. Rd. 5 to US 71.  It has also been at Mills Ford, Mills Toyota, Runnings, and
the business 71 overpass.  It moves frequently.  Looking back at my pictures, I am not
sure if this is the same bird I reported on 1-12-15 or not.  Between Atwater and Willmar
there have for sure been three distinct owls, but I'm wondering if it hasn't been more.  All
have been males.

I also saw an eBird report of a Snowy Owl on Co. Rd. 1 near Raymond from a couple
days ago.

Pictures of today's owls will be posted later at http://www.aboywhocriedheron.com

A good non-Snowy Owl sighting I had this morning was a Rough-legged Hawk along the
Willmar bypass near Co. Rd. 23.

Enjoying the SNOWstorm,
Josh Wallestad