MOU-RBA Archives

January 2015

From:
Gerald Hoekstra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gerald Hoekstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:20:23 -0700
This morning Gene Bauer and I drove down to Mankato to see the Varied
Thrush that was originally posted on MOU-net by Chad Heins. It has been
appearing continuously since the 10th. I just posted a photo on the MOU
page. Although the light was poor at the time, we had good views.

The homeowners are very welcoming. Although we arrived very early in the
morning, they immediately came outside to greet us and invited us in. The
area with the feeders can be seen from the street, but the best views are
through their back windows. They said I should encourage birders to knock
on the door.

The bird usually visits in the mornings, almost never in the afternoons,
and only for brief periods of time. It is usually seen in the trees or
feeding on the ground. Its feeding times are unpredictable. We were
fortunate in having it appear after about 20", but I know others have
waited several hours.

Gerry Hoekstra
Northfield