MOU-RBA Archives

January 2015

From:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2015 16:29:09 -0700
This morning I rediscovered the male Snowy Owl I found on 1-2-15 along MN 23 just west
of Mills Ford in Willmar.  I didn't have my camera, so I went back this afternoon around
4:20 to see if I could find it and photograph it.  I found it again at mile marker 142.  As I
took some pictures, it flushed and began flying a long ways away toward the east
following MN 23.  I hopped in the car to follow it and see where it was going.  Then as I
was driving east a second all white Snowy Owl came flying over my vehicle also headed
east!  I could see both Snowies flying at the same time!  I lost track of the first, but the
second perched on a pole on the minimum maintenance road 30th St. SW.  When I was
photographing this bird I finally spotted the first Snowy Owl about a half mile to the east
on a pole along 23. Then something crazy happened. Owl #2 flushed from his perch and
flew directly at Owl #1.  Its talons were out and the two birds actually had a brief
moment of physical contact before Owl #1 flew away to the east and Owl #2 stole his
perch.  I lost track of Owl #1 as it flew far to the east past US 71, but Owl #2 was still
there when I left (mile marker 143).

I'll try to get some pics up on the blog later tonight.  http://www.aboywhocriedheron.com
Other than some extremely light barring on Owl #1's belly, the two owls looked liked
twins.  Owl #2 had a pure white belly.

Crazy good birding!

Josh Wallestad