[mou-net] Two Harbors Spruce Grouse

Rick Gibson <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Feb 2015 15:32:01 -0700

Went to Two Harbors this weekend - chilly but birdy.

Saturday: No luck with the Three Toed Woodpecker on Three Lakes Road north of Duluth but a beautiful drive on a sunny morning (10 - 11:15am). Lots of Downy's and Red Breasted Nuthatch trying to look like a Three Toed.

Found some Hoary Redpolls just south of Two Harbors on Scenic 61 at about noon (thanks Jim Lund!) and, at about 1pm, quickly found the Harlequin Duck in Agate Bay - very busy diving but clearly in view near the ore docks.

This morning, drove up Hwy 2 and found a White Wing Crossbill on the road about one mile to the west of where Hwy 2 meets Hwy 1 (about 8am). On the way back south on Hwy 2, a nice couple pointed out a Spruce Grouse eating in the trees at the magic spot 0.4 miles north of Sand River (8:15am - thanks, Kim Eckert, for your guidance).

And, if that wasn't enough, I passed a trio of Pine Grosbeaks (9am) about 1 mile north of the wayside picnic stop just north of the split on Hwy 2.

Only a very small portion of open water at Canal Park in Duluth - a handfull of Mallards, Common Goldeneye and Common Mergs. I did not see the eider and there were no gulls save for two or three in flight. You can't always get what you want.

All in all, a fun winter weekend in the North.

-rick, mpls