MOU-RBA Archives

March 2015

From:
Glenn Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 20:40:52 -0600
Molly,

I was in Duluth leading a tour and made 4 trips to try and find the Gyrfalcon. Most people were seeing it on the catwalk structure of the "Peavy" grain elevator. I never saw it there. I went around noon, mid afternoon, and evening.
Finally saw the bird around 7:00 am but not on the Peavy elevators.
As you drive over to Superior on 535, just after you cross the water, look to your Right and you will see a large building with an American flag on the top. It is the tallest building. I do not know the name of the building, but it is the tallest and has the flag on it.
The bird was first seen from over on the Peavy side. It was on the east wall of the building. I could tell it was a falcon but not sure if a Gyrfalcon or a Peregrine. It was perched on a small extension from the building with a red light on the end. However, he flew around to the side (south) and disappeared.
We drove over to look for it. As we were standing and scanning facing the southwest corner of the building we say it fly out from the building. It made a couple of passes and flew back toward the building. It perched on some yellow railings about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the building. These railings were nearly flush with the sides of the building.
The light extension that he was originally on was not visible from the south side of the building.
You will need to scan carefully. If we had not seen him flying we may have missed seeing him, he was that well concealed. He made a couple more flight excursions, returning to the same perch that had a little sunlight shinning on it. It appeared the birds was catching some rays.
Good Luck

Glenn Olsen
Houston, TX