MOU-RBA Archives

March 2015

From:
Peter Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:45:59 -0600
I am passing along a report from the Minnesota Birding Facebook page from
Kyle Maust, who found LONG-TAILED DUCK at the Coon Rapids Dam, "right by
the bridge between the Anoka and Hennepin side."  He says the bird is an
adult male in winter plumage.

Other recent reports of interest from the Facebook page include the
following:

Yesterday (3/17) there was a report of about 30 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS just east
of the 180th St. marsh in Dakota County.

On 3/16, there was a report of a MUTE SWAN in St Michael at highway 37 and
Halsey Ave NE, near Pelican Lake in Wright county. To my knowledge, that
bird has not been relocated.

Also on 3/16, there was a report of a possible ROSS'S GOOSE on Gun Club
Lake in Dakota County.  That bird was not relocated.

There have been many reports of flyover GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and
SNOW GEESE the past few days--especially on the 15th and 16th.  Also being
reported at various locations are EASTERN and WESTERN MEADOWLARKS, as well
as other arrivals such as Eastern Bluebirds, Red-winged Blackbirds, and
Killdeer.  On the 13th, I had a fairly early SONG SPARROW singing a the
Grey Cloud Island causeway (Hazen P. Mooers Park) in Washington County.

Peter Nichols
Cottage Grove (Washington County)