MOU-RBA Archives

April 2015

From:
"Chu, Philip" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chu, Philip
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:10:35 -0600
Today I found two Black-necked Stilts at Getchell Lake in Oak Twp., Stearns Co.  I watched them from about 12:30 PM to 4:00 PM, and then I left; the stilts were still there.

To get to Getchell Lake, take I-94W to the Albany exit; at the foot of the exit ramp, turn left and go under the freeway to the T intersection; at the T intersection, turn right onto CR 10; follow CR 10 for roughly four-and-a-half miles to CR 30; turn right, or west, onto CR 30; after a little less than two miles turn right (north), following CR 30 which turns right (north) as well; and after a little less than a mile, turn left (west) onto 327th St., which ends at the Getchell Lake public-access site.

Getchell Lake water levels are low, perhaps because of a drawdown, and will be worth visiting throughout the spring unless the water comes back up.

Phil Chu
Department of Biology
St. John's University
Collegeville, MN 56321