MOU-RBA Archives

May 2015

From:
Peter Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 2015 19:21:09 -0600
Yesterday, Brian Byrne and I found a singing CERULEAN WARBLER at Afton
State Park (Washington County). The bird was along the first ravine loop
trail, just north of the first bridge on the North River Trail (along the
river bottomlands). Ben Douglas and I tried to relocate the bird today
without success.

After I left today, Ben found the SUMMER TANAGER that has been present in
previous years. He reported the bird from the northern portion of the
Trout Brook Loop.

Both days, my birding buddies and I had unsuccessful searches for Hooded
Warbler and Prothonotary Warbler in the locations at which they have bred
in previous years. I also heard from another birder yesterday who had
unsuccessful searches of the same locations. I will continue to check for
these species periodically in the coming weeks and will provide updates.

Other species seen and/or heard today in Ben's and my combined outing
included the usual Afton SP breeders: WOOD THRUSH, OVENBIRD (10+),
BLUE-WINGED WARBLER (7-8), EASTERN TOWHEE (7-8), a few YELLOW-THROATED
VIREOS, a singing SCARLET TANAGER, and YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER. Migrant
species included NASHVILLE WARBLER (7+), BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, TENNESSEE
WARBLER, CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, NORTHERN PARULA, and BLUE-EYED VIREO.

Pete Nichols
Cottage Grove
Washington County