MOU-RBA Archives

May 2015

From:
Peter Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2015 10:02:32 -0600
I just heard from Ben Douglas, who had a singing HOODED WARBLER back on
territory at Afton State Park (Washington County). He said he heard the
bird behind the visitor center, a ways down the slope. Later, he got visual
confirmation from the South River Trail. This is the same general location
in which they have nested for at least the past two years. I still do not
know of any reports of the Prothonotary Warblers that have nested there in
recent years.

Yesterday, I birded portions of the North Prairie Loop and Trout Brook Loop
with Andy Nyhus and Tony Lau. (The North Prairie loop of Afton SP is
accessible from 50th St.) We were unable to relocate either the Summer
Tanager or the Cerulean Warbler. However, we did find a BLACK-BILLLED
CUCKOO in the North Prairie Loop, as well as three ORCHARD ORIOLES
(including a nesting pair). Other highlights from the prairie included
numerous HENSLOW'S SPARROWS (no visuals) and one SEDGE WREN. There were
also many BLUE-WINGED WARBLERS on territory along the prairie edges and the
TB Loop, as well at least one pair of SCARLET TANAGERS. Migrant species
along the TB Loop included three CANADA WARBLERS, numerous Tennessee
Warblers, a couple of Magnolia Warblers, and at least one Blue-headed Vireo.

A full eBird list of yesterday's outing.is appended to this message. We had
65 species for the outing.

Pete Nichols
Cottage Grove
Washington County