MOU-RBA Archives

June 2015

From:
Brian & Risa Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian & Risa Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:52:20 -0600
Earlier this evening I found an adult male Blue Grosbeak in NE Cottonwood county.  The bird was heard singing on the north side of 280th St., about a quarter mile west of Cty. Rd. 2.  Eventually I was able to see the Grosbeak as well.  The location where it was found was along the southern boundary of a rather large sioux quartize quarry operated SMC.  The Jeffers Petroglyphs are just across Cty. Rd. 2 to the east.

As far as I can tell, this is only the second record for Blue Grosbeak in Cottonwood county, which is surprising to me considering Cottonwood county is within its range in SW Minnesota.  The only record I could find was on the Cottonwood county checklist from 8-1-95.  If there are other records for Cottonwood county, please feel free to correct me.

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye, MN