MOU-RBA Archives

July 2015

From:
Dave Zumeta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Zumeta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2015 10:01:24 -0600
At 8:30 a.m. today (Saturday, July 18), I briefly observed a Carolina Wren in South Minneapolis, after first hearing the bird singing and calling. The initial sighting was made across Park Terrace from the southeast edge of Seven Ovals Park. The wren was perched briefly on top of a chain link fence between the garages of two houses that front on Edmund Boulevard by the Mississippi River (4040 and 4044 Edmund Boulevard).

I relocated the wren at 10:10 a.m. singing continuously for about two minutes in a pine tree across the alley south of 3527 South 47th Avenue, which is located two houses north of the intersection of 36th Street East and South 47th Avenue on the east side of South 47th Avenue. At 10:15 a.m., the wren flew into the side yard (on the south side of the house) and then into the back yard of 3527 South 47th Avenue. I could not subsequently relocate it.

The two locations where the bird occurred are about 1/4 mile apart, and it is almost certainly still in the area. I live very nearby this site, so if you are interesting in looking for the wren later today or tomorrow (Sunday), feel free to call me at 612-719-5324.