MOU-RBA Archives

November 2015

From:
Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2015 09:38:57 -0700
I observed a White-eyed Vireo on November 1st from Wood Lake Nature Center
in Richfield, Hennepin Co. The bird was foraging in the brushy shrubs over
the fence on private property. The distinctive white-eye, yellow
spectacles, white throat, and obvious broad wing bars on its olive-gray
upperparts were enjoyed while it foraged unhurried for a few minutes along
the edges in the sunshine. It was associating with both Kinglets and
Orange-crowned Warbler and then they all disappeared deeper into the
private home owners yard. I believed it had moved on and submitted my RQD.

On the afternoon of November 2nd I observed this same bird again inside the
Nature Center foraging low to the ground with the same birds. I watched it
again disappear across the fence into private property in a different area
further south. I did not see any of these birds in the area on November
3rd after extensive searching.

Then to my surprise I saw the White-eyed Vireo again November 4th this
morning alone foraging inside the Nature Center eye level. I certainly did
not expect this fall migrant to continue to linger in the area. I still
believe it to be a hit and miss for seeing it for those interested in
searching since it was seen in different locations, and I could not refind
it shortly after it moved into a private homeowners backyard again today.

I last observed it on the south-east side of the nature center around the
fenceline running north from a bench along the main path out from the back
loop this morning.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Co.