MOU-RBA Archives

November 2015

From:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 2015 08:37:02 -0700
Kim Eckert expressed interest on info regarding the Red Phalarope at Wells WTP first found by Wayne Feder several days ago.
Kevin Smith and I went to Wells on Friday. After a long cold search the bird was finally found south of County 109 and just west of 560th Ave.
There are two ponds south of Highway 109. It was in the southern most pond feeding with a mixed flock of Ringnecked Ducks/Redheads.
It was difficult to find because of the distance and windy conditions. A scope is almost required although I did see it with bins from 560th. Ave.
We did not have views as close as Wayne Feder. He told me that on the day he first saw it the ponds were almost completely ice covered so the
bird was restricted to where it could feed. Now the ponds are more open so it was farther away from the road. Wayne had also seen a
White-winged Scoter. We could not confirm the Scoter; although, we did see one duck that may have been a Scoter. Also seen in that
southern most pond were Ruddy Ducks and Mallards.
Larry S