MOU-RBA Archives

November 2015

From:
Gregg Severson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gregg Severson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2015 18:41:24 -0700
While searching for the White-eyed Vireo at Wood Lake Nature Center, Jamie
McBride found a possible Golden-winged Warbler.   He texted me about the
find, but had a lot of doubts because it is so late for this species.
I went there to search for the WEVI, but had no luck.  However, I did see
the possible GWWA.

Another birder, Dave, was next to me when we spotted the bird in question.
We both were instantly intrigued by the bird, with both of us studying it
without calling out an ID at first.

The resulting description is my own, but perhaps these other individuals
could chime in with their observations if they see this message.

The bird had a golden crown, and the yellow color ran across the entire top
of the head (as opposed to a Golden-crowned Kinglet, where it would be a
narrow stripe, with a black stripe on either side).  There was a
white-stripe above the eye.  The yellow color was brightest on the forehead
and got more and more grayish towards the neck.  The bird also had bright
yellow patches on the wings.  The bird had a generally uniform white or
light gray underside, but I didn't get a good look at the throat area.  It
was foraging about 5 feet off of the ground on a small branch.

I thought the bird was warbler-sized (too big for a kinglet), but Dave
thought it was too small for a warbler.  We discussed our sighting right
then, and he was convinced that it was not a Golden-winged Warbler, but
possibly some form of Golden-crowned Kinglet.  Unfortunately, we didn't see
the bird for very long, and I had no chance to get my camera on it.

I search eBird for other late records, and only found 2 reports from either
Oct. or Nov. in all of MN.  Those records were from November 12 and 14,
2013 up in Duluth. Here are links to the checklists, where the reporter
included photos.  Those photos match what I was able to discern of the
bird, although they have more confirming field marks than I saw.

I looked in the mou database, and mou has the aforementioned records that
are in eBird, plus a record from 11-6-2010 in Crow Wing County.  Otherwise,
the latest record for GWWA is 10-14.

If anyone is out there searching for the White-eyed Vireo, please keep your
eyes (and camera shutters) out for a very late Golden-winged Warbler!

Gregg Severson
Minneapolis