MOU-RBA Archives

January 2016

From:
George Balogh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Balogh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2016 05:53:36 -0700
Yesterday about midday we were fortunate to see both immature Gyrfalcons vic Peavy Grain Elevators.
The Gray morph was very cooperative and sat on an electrical pole near the closed gate
just outside the elevator property. After good views (binocs/scope) and pics it took off and the brown morph
was spotted in flight and followed to the active open gate at the elevators. It spent enough
time on an electrical pole just outside that gate for views and pics. A little later we checked
the area out once more and spotted the grey morph again on an electrical pole at the dead
end of 5th street on the opposite side of the highway from the Peavy location. More good views
including in the scope.

Down side of our searches was lack of Ivory Gull at Canal Park. There were only a few gulls in the area
yesterday despite open water and no unusual species. We checked in the morning and in early and late
afternoon. Perhaps the flocks are spending time elsewhere?

George and Terri Balogh
Portage, MI