MOU-RBA Archives

January 2016

From:
MOU admin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MOU admin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2016 14:04:41 -0700
(Posted by Alex Lewanski <[log in to unmask]> via moumn.org)

Yesterday (1/5/15) at 1:30 p.m., I found a female/1st winter-type long-tailed duck
associating with a flock of common goldeneye at Spring Lake Park Reserve - Schaar’s Bluff in
Dakota County. The flock was located in a patch of open water on the Mississippi River directly
out from the Schaar’s Bluff Gathering Center.

Note: Drew Smith was unsuccessful in finding the bird today (1/6/15). There are multiple
patches of open water on this stretch of the river where flocks of common goldeneye and
common merganser are located and from my and Drew’s observations, the birds seem to be
quite mobile so it is very possible that the long-tailed duck is still in the area.

A complete list of birds seen and low quality but identifiable pictures of the long-tailed duck
can be viewed on my Ebird post linked below.