MOU-RBA Archives

February 2016

From:
Ron Taube <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Taube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2016 18:46:26 -0600
Hi
My wife Carolyn and I just came back from two days in Duluth and at the Sax-Zim bog and I want to first of all thank Clinton Nienhaus for all of his help. We were originally going to the bog with him on Friday for a Raptor hunt but he changed it to going raptor hunting in and around Duluth.  As it turned out this worked out great. I exchanged some emails with him asking about what was good to see and he told me where to find some black billed Magpies eating on a deer carcass.  We found the carcass along cr 133 near the meadowlands and saw several Magpies there eating on the deer.  We also found the Boreal chickadee gray jays and a porcupine along MacDavid road, not the one earlier reported on owl avenue. No we did not get a Great Gray Owl but i got one in December so I’m satisfied with that for now. We also saw Redpolls, pine siskins. and two roughed grouse but I did not see any sharp tailed grouse.  i think we arrived at the Lek too late.  I looked for the black backed woodpecker along the logging trail but it turned out that I was at the wrong end of the trail. Maybe next time. Today we joined Clinton as we toured  canal park several areas around Duluth then into superior.  We saw three peregrine falcons, a rough legged hawk, four bald eagles, a red tailed hawk.  We did not see any snowy owls or the gyrfalcon but I got the gray one last time i was up there. I also saw a Glaucous gull around sunrise. There were few gulls in canal park today.  The highlight for me were the Magpies. This was my best shot at seeing them close and photographing them. Here are some photos and a video from the trip in my Flickr page.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronsthoughts/with/24213816574/
Ron Taube
Coon Rapids