MOU-RBA Archives

April 2016

From:
John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2016 09:52:31 -0600
This morning at Rapids Lake MVNWR I saw both Yellow-throated Warbler and Louisiana  Waterthrush.   Just as I stepped out of my car around sunrise this morning at the visitor center,  I could hear a Yellow-throated Warbler singing.   He was singing atop an Oak just behind the visitor center.  Unfortunately when I returned to the area a couple hours later I neither saw nor heard any sign of him, but there had been people out in that area.  At around 8:20 this morning I saw the Louisiana Waterthrush just off the Rapids Lake(river) trail at the point where the trail runs closest to the shore of Rapids Lake on the northeast side.   He was bobbing and feeding on downed young trees/branches that were in and above the marsh of the lake in that area.   I believe I spotted him right when he noticed me, as he began calling immediately after I first saw him.   He was still in that particular spot as I walked away.   Other birds for the day were fairly typical for this time of year.   Today did bring my first significant number of White-throated Sparrow to the area coinciding with the apparent departure of Fox Sparrow.   It was also the first day in awhile that I did not see any American Tree Sparrow or Junco.

John Cyrus