MOU-RBA Archives

April 2016

From:
Ron Taube <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Taube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2016 15:10:41 -0500
Hi
We went out this morning with Gary Swanson’s hiking group on the Auto Trail at Sherburne.  It was fairly dark and a bit windy and felt colder than it should have.  We got , I think 45 species of birds. The list included 2 common loon, 2 Red Necked Grebe (found on cr 5 in a pond on the west side of the road just before the turn off to the auto drive) pied billed grebe, . We also saw Trumpeter Swans, Blue Winged teal, ring neck ducks, Lesser Scaup, Bald Eagles, A sharp shinned hawk. pheasant, greater and lesser yellow legs, brown thrasher, barn swallows, bonaparte gulls, an eastern Towhee was heard but not seen, swamp sparrow and several eastern meadowlarks, sandhill cranes, great blue herons,  several bunches of yellow rumped warblers and a belted kingfisher. We saw a wilson’s snipe practically right next to our car and i managed to get fairly good shots of him through the window and later outside of the car.   The photos at my  link are a bit dark and in the case of the Red Necked Grebes quite a distance off but they are at least id-able.
Ron Taube
Coon Rapids

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronsthoughts/