MOU-RBA Archives

May 2016

From:
Justin Watts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Watts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2016 11:43:34 -0600
Annabelle Watts and I came across a pair of Says Phoebes in the Felton Prairie area this
morning. The birds were at the gravel pit along 170th st N (the typical 'longspur road'), just
before the first cattle guard crossing. Best viewed by turning left at the intersection at the
cattle guard. The phoebe's were calling to each other frequently (may nest?) and tended to
perch on the large gravel piles or on the fence nearby the road.

Annabelle shared a photo here: https://flic.kr/p/GSyBRM

Other goodies in the general area included Marbled Godwits chasing away harriers, at least
3 Upland Sandpipers (heard many calls and got good looks, very cool) and around 25
booming Greater Prairie Chickens at the Bluestem Prairie lek we reserved yesterday.
Despite our best efforts, we weren't able to track down any Chestnut Collared Longspurs
along 170th.

-
Justin Watts
Hennepin